Wednesday, April 30, 2014

So Stop With the Doing and Being, Already! Let's Get Real:

As a child of Christian faith, family values at home were  set by the iron rod i.e., "...spare the rod and spoil the child...". 
Right?...
By doing what I was asked, and living what I was taught I learned that I could win approval, create peace and avoid punishment. 

I spent so much time choosing the right, doing what was right, avoiding the crises that inevitably came with disobedience.

Yet in quiet times I still experienced lasting  moments of true perfection; Like on Christmas Eve just after bedtime when, in the darkened living room a fresh fragrant evergreen tree was still lit, or before going out to catch the school bus on a warm spring morning, sunshine and dewy fresh air poured in through the torn up screen door at the back of the house. 

Fast forward to Now. In a busy Christian life and with what turns out to be lots of Protestant pride,  I now must do and do and do...and then I can Be...Be exhausted, distracted and unsatisfied that I have done enough, that I have enough, that I am enough to prove my worth!
Like the Dalai Lama says...

With all this doing, my adult life is still so often an unruly mess! And then after all is said and done, the "worthiness meter" still comes up short. Has loyalty to my religious training turned me backward and upside down in my thinking?

The puzzle of Christian practice to me is that I (and many members of my family--of origin, of church and of the human family <3) choose to "Do" and strive to "Be" in pursuit of worthiness, to vanquish "evil", rather than to Un-do negativist energy, that blocks the perfection that already IS.

Hasn't God already worked it out for us?
We lack nothing!
We must capture this truth.

After all, hasn't the source of Christian faith, Jesus Christ, Un-done all that is needed in his atoning sacrifice to restore us, to restore the heavens and earth to the state of bliss that IS? 

So what is it that we Christians need to Do? All that is needed has already been done. Unless we weave negative energy, the concept of "evil", of making it an entity, back into our doctrine and blind ourselves all over again.

With the atonement, Evil has been banished, death vanquished for the believing heart (Right?) and yet the world as we know it seems to continue to be a mess? Not so, I say. 

So I ask myself, "Is Do-ing making me any more or less of whatever it is I really Am?" (This seems to imply that  what I really Am, really ISN'T lol); Is Doing really bringing me joy (always in a promised future state!) or does this joy already exist. Christmas trees and spring sunshine indicate to me that it does; this joy already does exist. And then we have the Knowing, not the believing heart. And in the knowing there is joy. The true self that is limitless and ever flowing is free of evil already; the part of we Christians that is Jesus, that is Christ, undoes all that is needed;


"Be Still and Know." ~God
Rather in stead, just by Being who I really AM, I begin Un-doing, instead of Doing. Restoring, reserving, waiting quietly in the Reality of the moment for the miracle to appear and remove, miraculously, the din of earthly strife/"strif-ing"/striving; Undoing the mess by un-stopping what is  needed to restore the order and the joy of what already IS.

Undoing grief, undoing sorrow, undoing, i.e., not doing,(as in, "I don't do windows" lol...) the negative then uncovers, reveals, prepares me for and creates what IS. 

 All that is necessary to create, to restore, to preserve and to reveal the opposite of all this negative space rests in Reality. I do not need to Do to Be. We do not need to do to Be. We are good. The big "R". I have been accused of "rewriting history" before. Wait until you see me now. Moo!

No comments:

Post a Comment